Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cereal obsessed...


We eat a fair bit of cereal in our house, both my kids and husband are happy when there are sugar coated varieties in the mix.  I am happy to buy it when there are coupons on the box.  This is a very common site in our cupboards when it comes to cereal, boxes with 1/2 the back cut out.  There are currently 8 boxes at the present time in this condition.  The best part is I have coupons for FREE Eggo's ready to pick up when I have a little more room in my freezer.   Both make me smile.




Kellogs is running a great promotion right now on specially marked boxes of cereal.  Free, Eggo Waffles, Minute Maid Juice, Banana's, Yogurt, or Tasters Choice coffee when you buy specially marked boxes of cereal.  I found my boxes at the Real Canadian Super Store (Lougheed & Schoolhouse) on Sunday afternoon.  There were LOTS, but I suspect that they will be scooped up quickly. Sale price on cereal runs through to close on Thursday.

This is how I worked this deal.  

6 boxes @ 2.97 =17.82 Less $6.00 for coupons ( found in store, save 3$ when you buy 3)
Total paid 11.82 (1.97 per box) Regular price is around 5.00 per box
Total savings 61% 
Add to that the 6 FREE coupons for waffles a $17.94 value

Total out of pocket 11.82 for 47.94 regular priced items.
Grand total savings 75% 

Which is $36.12 still in my pocket! (which is 3 x the amount out of pocket - I like doing math like that!)

3 comments:

  1. I received many strange looks in the grocery store when I purchased 14 boxes of cereal in one visit several years ago. They were introducing McDonald's healthier menu and each box contained a coupon for a free meal-sized salad and a coupon for a free yogourt parfait. Back then the salads were about $5 and the parfait was $2. So that is $7 worth of food on every box which cost me $3.50 on sale. In addition, they had an airmiles deal which gave you 100 airmiles for every 7 boxes that you purchased. So 200 airmiles would almost be enough for 4 free tickets to the movies! And, don't forget that the boxes contained cereal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there yesterday but there was a 2 box limit (combined varieties) - how did you get 6?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trace.. interesting. They must have changed the signs / promo. I thought it was odd when I picked them up that they were not combined, as that is what RCSS is famous for.
    I double checked my reciept - and it did not combine varieties.
    I would divide my transaction and do 2 or 3 if I wanted more.

    ReplyDelete