Monday, April 18, 2011

Hiding in the back corners...

Ugh.. I think my least favorite task to do in the house is clean the fridge.  Mainly because I leave it too long and it gets nasty with a capitol "N".   With that in mind I went on a little Internet journey to find tips for better organization of said beast.  WOW I love when the Internet does not disappoint, I gained tons of great ideas. And some very good knowledge of the correct way to store fruits and veggies for optimal freshness and shelf life.  I am filing that for a future post I think I will call "Things I wish my Mother had taught me" 

I am off to Value Village in search of a couple of lazy susans.  For years my mom had them in one of our cupboards at home they were great, I had never thought of them for the fridge - especially the back corners.  Brilliance!  I am hoping that these will not be on the "VV wish list" for long, my fridge is very much in need of this little addition.

1/2 dozen + 1 Tips
1) Set a "date & time" to clean out the fridge.  Weekly is best, do not let it go past 2 weeks.  The task will be much less daunting.  I have done this now for a month,  Monday is the day, morning is the time. 
2) Turn off the fridge - why waste the energy while the door is open for the 1/2 hour - hour this task will take. (With regular clean out, time will be cut significantly, and the gagging potential drops too.)
3) Remove EVERYTHING from the fridge before you start to scrub. Drawers, and shelves included. This makes it so much easier to wash, and see anything that is hiding in the corners.
4) Scrub from the top down.  All you will need is warm water and mild soap (I use whatever dish soap we are using at the time.)  Do not forget to wash the drawers and shelves.
5) For really stubborn spills, set a damp cloth (warm water) on the spill for a few min to soften, come back and in most cases it wipes right up.
6) Rinse & Refresh with a mixture of 2TBSP baking soda mixed with 1 litre of warm water.  Dry inside of fridge.  Turn on the thermostat.
7)  Do not forget to wipe down all items that are being returned to the fridge.

A clean fridge is a thing of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment