Monday, March 14, 2011

Are you ready?

We live in an amazing age, we are able to see real time footage of news around the world the good and the bad.  I think the first time that hit me was the events of 911 in New York.  Glued to the TV watching as planes crashed into the twin towers.  Sitting in complete silence of disbelief.  Then again on the weekend as images of earthquake & tsunami news rolled in from Japan.  I sat stunned thinking.... that could happen here! 
Are we ready? 
I have a few things "ready" but until you are actually in a situation of that magnitude how do you really know?  I'd like to think I could keep a cool head and remember my first aid training, where we stored the emergency supplies & be ready for what ever lies ahead, but how do you know? For my entire life I have heard.. the big one is coming - I do not doubt the possibility seeings as the southern west coast of Canada sits not far from where 3 of the earth's plates meet.  It is bound to happen one day.

Well if and when ONE DAY comes I want to be ready...I want to have a plan, and be able to execute it.  I think by doing so there will be less panic in our house, not to mention the urgent need to rush to the store for supplies will be eliminated thus saving us some money too. Therefore being prepared is not only smart, but frugal!
We are off to a very good start with our camping equipment.  Most of it is packed year round and easily accessible. Propane stove, lantern and BBQ, first aid kit in addition we have water stored that we rotate every 3 to 6 months.  Being tent campers, roughing it would not be a tough stretch for us if it came to that. We have had conversations with our girls about what to do, where to go, who to call etc.  But there is so much more to being ready, and so many great sites to help you do that. 

Safety & Protection

In an earthquake situation, one of the first things you should know is the following
DROP, COVER & HOLD ON , you initial concern is protection during the quake.  Learning and practicing this could save you from injury or death in worse case scenario. These types of earthquake practices happen regularly in schools, in similar fashion to fire drills. 

Emergency Supplies

The next thing to be concerned with is survival after. It is recommended that you have a minimum of 1 litre of water per person per day stored, just to drink, that is just a start. Here is a very comprehensive preparation list for our area. The more of these things you take care of before an earthquake takes place the better prepared you will be.  A little time and investment in some cases now will save you in the event of need.

Of course no one wants to see this occur, however, true to my Girl Guide roots I want to be prepared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment