Sunday, March 6, 2011

Frugal is not a dirty word... neither is it CHEAP...

Is there a difference between being FRUGAL, and being CHEAP...  I think there is a HUGE difference.

Frugal = 1) Economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or not wasteful
              2) Entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty
              3) Practicing economy. 
                      Synonyms - Thrifty, provident, careful, economical

Cheap = 1) Costing very little, relatively low in price, inexpensive.
              2)  of little account of small value, mean, shoddy, poor workmanship
                      Synonyms - Miserly, tightwad, stingy
                     

Cheap often implies inferior quality, or unwillingness to part with ones money, possessions or time. To me it is a self serving inward looking way of living.

Frugal on the other hand implies wisdom and wise use of money, time and possessions, looking for the best value before spending. 

I aim to be of the latter.

Often when saving money is discussed, people think you are saving for a big purchase item, fancy holiday or retirement.  When you tell them you use coupons on a regular basis to save money, they think that you scrimp because you can not afford to spend.  Which may be the case for many, me included at times.  There are many things in this life that I would like to enjoy but can not afford, but there are many things that I can and do afford in my life that many could never dream of.  Living in Canada, statistically speaking that puts me in the top 4% of the worlds wealth - that means that 96% of the worlds population live at a lesser level than my family and I.  I know that even if there have been times "statistically speaking" we have lived below the poverty line we have never been with out the things that we truly need...  Sustenance, Shelter and clothing.  It certainly may have been difficult to make ends meet, but it was never impossible, for many it is nearly impossible.  Perspective is powerful , I have found that couponing can be quite the challenge, and a fun one at that.  Bring it on, I am ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment